Thank you for your interest in joining Youth Engaged in Philanthropy (YEP). We are excited to see another fruitful year of youth philanthropy in our community. Before you begin the application process, please be sure to review the list of membership requirements and expectations below.If you're new to YEP, we highly encourage you to attend the August Meet & Greet. The Meet & Greet is a fun and easy way to learn more about the YEP committee prior to applying for membership. High school youth with a desire to make a positive impact in DeKalb County should consider attending. Returning members are highly encouraged to attend and bring a friend. The event is FREE. RSVP is not required to attend, but greatly appreciated.
YEP Committee Member Requirements and Expectations
- Current resident of DeKalb County or enrolled in a high school within DeKalb County
- Between ages 14 – 18 years old and enrolled in high school as a Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior
- Seeking an opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to benefit youth in the community
- Check e-mail at least once per week for YEP announcements and respond when required
- Be a responsible steward of the money allocated for youth in our community
- Excited to work with a diverse cross-section of young people from across DeKalb County
- Form opinions objectively and without bias so that decisions made reflect the community’s best interest
- Commit him or herself to the mission, purpose, and goals of the Foundation and YEP
- Serve as a positive representative of YEP to Foundation colleagues, fellow YEP members, and community members
- Committed to creating an inclusive environment for all members
Meeting and Event Expectations
- Attend at least 7 of the 9 regular monthly meetings from September through May
- Dedicate at least 2 – 4 hours per month to YEP meetings and activities
- Attend one or more volunteer outreach opportunities
- Attend at least one site visit to a potential grantee organization
- Notify Foundation staff or a member of the executive committee unable to attend a meeting or event
- Keep meeting discussions confidential and not take decisions and discussions personally
PLEASE NOTE - ALL youth interested in becoming a 2019-2020 YEP member MUST complete an annual application and commitment form. All applicants will be notified of membership status prior to the September meeting. To reflect our desire to be a DeKalb County youth committee, membership will be capped per high school. Once those spots fill, additional applications from that school are added to a waiting list. Preference is given to returning members in good standing. Thank you for your interest and for understanding!
“YEP has been a great opportunity to increase my community awareness and become more in tune with the needs and issues of my peers. Being a student-led organization showed me how important youth are and gave me the freedom to develop my leadership skills and take pride in serving. I know I’m well-equipped to impact any community I’m involved in!” - Madeleine Vinz Sycamore High School (Class of 2019)
YEP Alumni TakeawaysVisit the YEP Alumni page to see more.
YEP Instagram feed - Follow youthengagedinphilanthropy