Welcome to Youth Engaged in Philanthropy (YEP)
Youth Engaged in Philanthropy (YEP) is in its 11th year as a youth-led committee of the DeKalb County Community Foundation. The mission of YEP is to improve the quality of life for youth in DeKalb County.
YEP is open to all high school students in DeKalb County, IL. Through monthly meetings and volunteer outreach events, YEP builds leadership, communication, social, and analytical skills. Members are familiarized with nonprofits, build an understanding of philanthropy, and are introduced to grantmaking. A large portion of the year is spent on grantmaking, YEP Grants, where members learn to analyze grant applications, conduct site visits, and identify the potential impact on other youth in DeKalb County. Last year, the YEP committee allocated and granted $14,005 to nine community organizations for a variety of youth serving programs and projects.
Thank you to those who continue to provide support and direction for this very important youth initiative. And thank you to all our members, alumni, advisors, and community partners. Together, we are making a positive impact and improving the quality of life for youth in DeKalb County.
- October Meeting - Tuesday, October 8, from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- October Outreach Events - See full listing
- November Meeting - Tuesday, November 12, from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- November Outreach Events - See full listing
- December Outreach Events - See full listing
- December Meeting - Tuesday, December 10, from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- January Meeting - Tuesday, January 14, from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- February Meeting - Tuesday, February 11, from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- March Meeting - Tuesday, March 10, from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- March Outreach Events - See full listing
- April Meeting - Sunday, April 5, from 4:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- April Outreach Events - See full listing
- May Meeting - Sunday, May 3, from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
2018-2019 YEP Year in Review
“Each year, YEP empowers high school students to think creatively, to analyze grant proposals, and to allocate thousands of grant dollars. YEP is truly a life changing experience.” - Danniela Estrada - Sandwich High School (Class of 2018)
YEP is a committee of high school students that learn about volunteerism, philanthropy, leadership, and grantmaking through monthly meetings, outreach events, and special youth-led grant programs (responsive and proactive).
The responsive grant program is for all members. Members are responsible for allocating approximately $12,000 to youth serving nonprofits in DeKalb County. During monthly meetings, members learn the roles of community foundations and nonprofits. Members learn how to distribute grant dollars to address youth focused needs in our communities. Funding for this grant program is possible through the DeKalb County Youth Grant Makers’ Fund at DeKalb County Community Foundation.
The proactive grant program is reserved for seasoned YEP members. Members are responsible for identifying youth needs in the community and exploring ways to address them. Time is set aside during most regular YEP meetings for the YEP 2.PRO committee to meet. Donor asks are the main source of funding for this grant program.
Celebrating 10 Years of YEP!
What is YEP?
YEP Instagram feed - Follow youthengagedinphilanthropy