In the fall of 2019, the DeKalb County Community Foundation awarded $120,800 in Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grants to support music education. Recipients include 27 nonprofits and community organizations across the Midwest.
Fall 2019 Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grants awarded:
- (DeKalb) Arcomusical – $4,000 to support educational programming
- (DeKalb) DeKalb Public Library – $2,500 to support a program for circulating ukuleles
- (DeKalb) DeKalb School District – DeKalb High School – $10,000 to purchase new choir robes for the choir program
- (Arlington Heights) St. Peter Lutheran School – $3,500 to purchase a tuba
- (Aurora) Fox Valley Music Consortium – $2,500 to support instruction during the school year
- (Batavia) Fox Valley Children’s Chorus – $1,000 to support a workshop and spring concert
- (Bensenville) Chicagoland Lutheran Educational Foundation – $3,000 to support youth vocal music and theory lessons
- (Chicago) Casa Central – $4,000 to support music classes in their adult wellness center
- (Chicago) Changing Worlds – $6,000 to support music education to under-served classrooms in Chicago
- (Chicago) Chicago Arts and Music Project – $5,000 to support free after-school orchestra programming
- (Chicago) Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble – $6,500 to provide a program of music and creative dance classes for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students
- (Chicago) Chicago Human Rhythm Project – $5,500 to support the music components of CHRP’s education, outreach, and performance programming in 2020
- (Chicago) Chicago Philharmonic Society – $5,000 to support an in-school mentor-ship program benefiting under-served junior high and high school music students
- (Chicago) Classical Kids Music Education – $10,000 to support a week-long in-school residency program
- (Chicago) Fulcrum Point New Music Project – $4,000 to support in-school global music programming
- (Chicago) Grace Christian Academy – $2,400 to support band lessons
- (Chicago) Lampo – $3,000 to support talks from visiting composers and musicians
- (Chicago) Maria Kaupas Center – $5,000 to support a therapeutic and after-school music programs
- (Chicago) Musical Arts Institute – $7,900 to support an after-school music program
- (Chicago) Noble Network of Charter Schools – $5,000 to support a music program
- (Chicago) Snow City Arts Foundation – $3,000 to support standards-based music education at Chicagoland hospitals
- (Elgin) Elgin Symphony Orchestra – $5,000 to support educational and community outreach programs during the 2019-20 season
- (Maywood) Maywood Fine Arts Association – $5,000 to support the Aspiring Musicians scholarships
- (Melrose Park) Walther Christian Academy – $3,000 to repair of band instruments for a free lending program
- (Naperville) Young Naperville Singers – $3,000 to award need-based scholarships to school-aged singers
- (Oak Brook) Spirito! Singers – $1,000 to support music instruction for youth
- (Rockford) Rockford Symphony Orchestra – $5,000 to support the annual youth concert
Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grants are one of several grant programs at the Community Foundation. Funding is possible through a donor advised fund established in 2012.
For questions or additional information on grant programs, please contact Grants Director Tiffany McQueen Lewis at 815-748-5383 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pictured: Arcomusical, recipient of a fall 2019 Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grant. Arcomusical, DeKalb, is a nonprofit organization in with a mission to spread the joy of the Afro-Brazilian musical bow known as the berimbau through the development of innovative and excellent musical repertoire.