This fall, $73,300 was awarded in Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grants to support music education. Recipients include 24 nonprofits and community organizations across the Midwest, including in DeKalb County, IL.
Fall 2018 Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grants awarded:
- Arcomusical NFP – $3,000 to operating and programming budget
- Beverly Arts Center – $5,000 to purchase instruments for an after-school band
- Casa Central – $4,000 to support music classes in their Adult Wellness Center
- Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble – $4,000 to support a “Mo- $4,100 town Review” and dance and theater classes
- Chicago Human Rhythm Project – $3,500 to support music education, outreach, and performance in 2019
- Chicago Jazz Philharmonic – $3,000 to a music education initiative, Jazz Alive
- Chicagoland Lutheran Educational Foundation – $3,000 to music lessons for low-income youth
- Christ the King Lutheran Church and School – $2,000 to rent violins
- Classical Kids Music Education – $5,000 to a week-long music education residency program for under-served elementary students in Chicago Public Schools
- Elgin Symphony Orchestra – $3,200 to support education and community outreach programs for the 2018-2019 season
- Elgin Youth Symphony Orchestra Inc. – $3,000 to support a high intermediate to advanced-level symphonic orchestra for middle and high school players
- Foundations of Music – $3,000 to bring high-quality music education to under-served classrooms in Chicago
- Fulcrum Point New Music Project – $3,000 to support in-school music education programs
- Grace Christian Academy – $2,000 to offer instrumental band lessons to pupils during the 2018-19 school year
- Intonation Music – $4,100 to support programmatic and administrative initiatives through 2018-19
- Little Kids Rock – $5,000 to support a program to purchase equipment that will further their musical education and provide easier access for them to perform in the community
- Marengo-Union Elementary Community School District 165 – $1,000 to purchase instruments for a school band program
- Maywood Fine Arts Association – $3,000 to fund a scholarship program
- Musical Arts Institute – $2,000 to support an after-school program that provides music class and group training for aspiring young musicians
- Rockford Symphony Orchestra – $3,000 to support music curriculum for 3rd-5th grade students
- Snow City Arts Foundation – $2,000 to support standards-based music education at Chicagoland Hospitals
- Peter Lutheran School – $2,000 to provide safer, sturdier, and more portable choral risers for its student singers
- The Chicago Philharmonic Society – $2,000 to support in-school mentorship program benefiting underserved junior high and high school music students
- Walther Christian Academy – $2,500 to repair of band instruments for a free lending program
The Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grant is one of several grantmaking programs at the DeKalb County Community Foundation. Funding support is possible through a Community Foundation donor advised fund established by the Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation in 2012.
Spring 2019 grant applications are available online after January 1 each year. Grant applications are due on March 1 and September 1 of each year.
Donations to any fund at the Community Foundation can be made online at dekalbccf.org/donate, or by mail to the DeKalb County Community Foundation, 475 DeKalb Avenue, Sycamore, IL 60178. For questions or additional information on grants, please contact Grants & Community Initiatives Manager Marc Hooks at 815-748-5383 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pictured: The Kishwaukee Brass Quintet performs for DeKalb County preschoolers as part of the “Tis the Season” education and community series. Funding for this program made possible by a spring 2018 Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grant to Just Make it Happen, Inc. to enhance music education access for preschool – high school children/students in DeKalb County.