Celebrating 25 Years of the DeKalb County Community FoundationJuly 10, 2018
Application Period for Fall Community Foundation Grants BeginsJuly 18, 2018
The DeKalb County Community Foundation is excited to award $174,600 in spring Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund grants. A total of 33 nonprofits and community organizations across the greater Chicagoland area will receive grant support for music education.
Since 2012, the Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund continues to ‘mean music to the millions’ through a donor advised fund at the Community Foundation, providing over $1.3 million in music grants.
Applications for Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grants are due by midnight on March 1 and September 1 of each year. Funding support is determined by criteria met and the amount requested. Preference to 501(c)3 organizations is given.
Congratulations to the spring 2018 Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grant recipients:
- Carpentersville Middle School – $3,500 to purchase new French horns
- Catalyst Schools – $6,000 to purchase a grand piano
- Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre – $5,000 to support the Inside/Out program
- Chicago Sinfonietta – $5,000 for general operating support
- Children’s Community Theatre – $7,000 for summer musical theater camps
- Child’s Voice – $2,500 for the Music, Voices, and Rhythms program
- Community School of the Arts at Wheaton College – $5,000 to support the CODA program in DuPage county schools
- Company of Folk – $5,000 to produce a music CD and illustrated book of children’s songs and lyrics
- Cor Cantiamo – $7,500 to support the 2018-2019 concert season
- DeKalb School District – DeKalb High School – $8,000 to purchase new band uniforms
- Ellwood House Association – $1,850 for live music performances on the museum grounds
- Experimental Sound Studio – $1,750 for public workshops related to music, sound arts, and recording
- Fox Valley Academy of Music Performance – $5,000 for general operating support
- Glen Ellyn Children’s Chorus d/b/a Anima – $6,000 for general operating support
- Holy Family Ministries – $5,000 to support the school’s music program
- Holy Trinity High School – $5,000 for general support for the music program
- Just Make It Happen – DeKalb, Inc. – $7,500 to enhance music education access for preschool – high school children/students in DeKalb County
- Kaneland Arts Initiative – $10,000 to support the Artist in Residence Initiative
- Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra – $6,000 to support music education and performance outreach programs for youth in the 2018-2019 concert season
- Lawrence Hall – $6,000 to support the expressive music therapies program
- Maria Kaupas Center – $5,000 to support the Art Expression Through Music Program
- Merit School of Music – $8,000 to support the Merit Music in Communities program
- Music of the Baroque – $5,000 for the Strong Voices program
- NIU-College of Visual and Performing Arts – $5,000 to support need based scholarships for families in DeKalb County to participate in music programs
- Orion Ensemble – $3,000 for the educational partnership program at three high schools and the Chicago Youth Symphony
- People’s Music School – $5,000 for general operating support
- Preservation of Egyptian Theatre, Inc. – $2,500 to support the Live Lunch Music Series
- Sandwich Opera House (ARCH) – $15,000 to rebuild and restore windows
- Somonauk CUSD # 432 – $5,000 to outfit the band program with technology for sound enhancements
- Special Gifts Theatre – $3,500 to support the Musical Theatre Program
- Charles Singers – $2,000 to provide a one day, choral workshop focused on the art of ensemble singing
- Suzuki-Orff School of Music – $5,000 to provide children in our CPS partner schools with long-term access to an exceptional music education
- The Singing Boys of Rockford dba Kantorei – $2,000 to present “Heartsong” at Pilgrim Baptist Church in partnership with Youth Against Violence Organization
Donate to any fund at the Community Foundation, including the Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund at www.dekalbccf.org/donate or by mail to the DeKalb County Community Foundation, 475 DeKalb Ave., Sycamore, IL 60178.
Pictured: The Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund grant to the Children’s Community Theater (CCT) provides support for their summer musical theater camps. Pictured is CCT Summer Camp Director Jeff Hall, CCT campers, and DeKalb County Community Foundation Program Director Anita Zurbrugg.