After spending a year on display at the Sycamore History Museum, the Sycamore Engine II wood replica is permanently home. The Sycamore Engine II, a 4-4-0 type Baldwin locomotive, took to the tracks on May 11, 1875. Weighing in at 28 tons and capable of carrying 200 pounds of steam, the locomotive was a remarkable piece of machinery.
Artist Bob Myers, from DeKalb, sculpted the replica around the time that the City of Sycamore acquired the Sycamore Train Depot from Auto Meter as a way to capture the one of the many stories surrounding the grand depot. The exquisite detail of the wooden replica is a common feature found in all of Bob’s work.
Original wood from the Sycamore Train Depot went into in the construction of the display shelf.
Thank you to artist Bob Myers for sharing his talent, Joiner History Room for usage of the original photo in the display, Clint Cargile (author of Five-Mile Spur Line) for usage of his train history facts, and to Banner-Up Displays for another great install!