Welcome Ben Bingle, DCNP ManagerFebruary 2, 2016
Give Local DeKalb County Registration OpenFebruary 8, 2016
Pictured: Dan Templin, Executive Director, addresses attendees of the Sycamore Chamber luncheon after receiving the Diamond Award on behalf of the DeKalb County Community Foundation.
Recently the DeKalb County Community Foundation was awarded the Discover Diamond award from the Sycamore Chamber of Commerce! The Discover Diamond award was given for the restoration efforts of the Sycamore Train Depot in preserving a historical landmark in the community.
“The Depot is a very special place and we are honored to be part of putting it back into use to serve the community as it did starting in 1880,” said Dan Templin, DeKalb County Community Foundation Executive Director. “The Depot reflects the spirit of philanthropy not only in Sycamore but in DeKalb County as a whole…timeless, visible, and relevant.”
The restoration project could not have been accomplished without the overall commitment and key partnerships from the community. A special recognition and thanks goes to:
- Bill Nicklas
- Doug & Lynn Roberts
- Jeff King, Kent Alcott, & Dean Panettieri – Auto Meter Products, Inc.
- City of Sycamore Mayor Ken Mundy
- Sycamore City Manager Brian Gregory
- The Sycamore City Council
- Tim Suter, Project Manager, Community Foundation Board Member
- Tom Matya, Zea Mays Holdings
- Tim Dunlop, Community Foundation Board Member
- Mike Cullen & Suzanne Juday, who co-chaired the Friends of the Foundation Committee
- Swedberg & Associates, Inc., General Contractor (Phase I)
- Russ Smith Construction, LLC, General Contractor (Phase II)
- Sharp Architects, Inc.
- Over 200 donors who contributed to the overall cost of renovation
- Clint Cargile for his research/writing of the book ‘5-mile Spur Line: A Railroad History of Sycamore, IL’ which helped us learn and share the story of the significance of the railroad and the Depot to Sycamore.
Restoration of the Train Depot began in 2011 and was completed in the fall of 2012. With renovations complete, the Community Foundation officially opened within the new location on October 15, 2012.
For a complete history of the Sycamore Railroad History and the Train Depot Renovation story, get a copy of ‘5-mile Spur Line: A Railroad History of Sycamore, IL’ by Clint Cargile. Books can be purchased at the DeKalb County Community Foundation. Questions? Please contact Barb King, Administrative Manager, at 815-748-5383 or email@example.com.